Are You A B.A.B.E?

Are You A B.A.B.E?
Join The Revolution!

Monday, February 28, 2011

Water, Water Everywhere

As I was on my way to a medical appointment, pounding down 25 oz. of water in 10 minutes (literally), it struck me how millions of people in this world don't even get 25oz of water a week to drink.  Think about that:  884 million people lack access to safe water supplies; approximately one in eight people. More sad stats (thanks to Water.org):



  • A typical bathtub, if you are lucky enough to have the time to take a bath every day, holds about 151L.  Someone living in a slum typically only gets 30L for all of their needs; that number will be even less if you lived in a remote area.
  • Waterborne diseases cause 1.4 million deaths in children every year.  Most are a result of drinking or bathing in unsanitary water.
  • Millions of women and children spend hours a day collecting water from distant, unsanitary sources.


Oh, I could hit you with tons more statistics; they're all over the web.  My thought wasn't about stats, but about how #1, fortunate we are to not have to face thirst, real thirst for which you have nothing to quench it and #2, how much we waste without even thinking about it.  I recall how in the summer, my daughter would take a swig of water & spit it out all over the place, just goofing off.  Makes that seem not so funny, when you picture a sad little face that hasn't had but a sip of water in a couple of days.

I am well aware that this is a real downer and come on, do I really think about that every time I drink water?  No, but I am genuinely conscious of how I use it.  If I'm not going to drink the rest of my water, I put it in the refrigerator for later, or use water that I boiled spaghetti in to water my plants, etc.

As a B.A.B.E, I really do feel that I want to & should not only live the way I dream the world to be, but also maybe, just maybe, be an example to others.  Never know, it might catch on.

No comments:

Post a Comment