Are You A B.A.B.E?

Are You A B.A.B.E?
Join The Revolution!

Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Measure of a (Wo)Man

There are obviously two educations. One should teach us how to make a living and the other how to live.

-- James Truslow Adams
My Uncle Johnny died yesterday.  He was a really good guy; nice guy.  The kind of guy that makes you sad that he died, just because he was so darn nice.  Death usually makes you think about someone even more; contemplating how they lived, what they did, etc.  Here is my Uncle Johnny in a nutshell:

He died at 64 years old after complications from quadruple bypass surgery.  He quit school in the 8th grade to take care of his family - 5 siblings and a Mother.  I know lots of men with higher education that can't even take care of themselves.

He worked his whole life, a good, honest job and I never heard him complain.  I know many people that were paid three times what he made and complained every day.

He was a "functioning alcoholic" for many years, but then chose sobriety and has been sober for over 30 years.  Know what the success rate of sobriety is?  Depending on the source, it's less than 10%...3 stats I read said less than 5%.  I would call his sobriety quite successful.

He helped my Mom and family with anything they needed, helped out at church, with Race for the Cure and many other things.  I know many people with twice as much free time that do nothing.

While my Uncle was in the hospital, a few staff members came in on their day off to check on him because he had made such an impact on the folks who worked there.  What will be our impact on those around us - while we're here and gone?

No comments:

Post a Comment