Are You A B.A.B.E?

Are You A B.A.B.E?
Join The Revolution!

Friday, April 8, 2011

A Healthy Treat - Recipe

Ever had a pizzelle?  I've been fortunate that from time to time, one of my Italian-heritage friends have made some & given me a stack.  They are those fun little round, flat, usually anise-flavored cookies that ladies make for special occasions like Christmas.  Usually has a good deal of butter or oil in them.  Well, you know this B.A.B.E just can't do that, so I experimented with my own recipe & even my husband & daughter were won over!  Healthy & tasty; it's a win/win!  Time to share:

Tasty pizzelles..check out our healthy version!
1st step> get a pizzelle maker.  I went on Amazon & ordered one, easy breezy.
Recipe:
1 cup whipped butter
1 cup organic cane sugar
1/4-1/2 cup granulated sugar
5 egg whites
2 Tbsp. vanilla
2.5 cups whole wheat flour
1/8 cup milled flax seed
1/8 cup bread flour (if you don't have this, it's not a deal breaker, just use more whole wheat flour)
3 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
Cardamom to taste.  I had never had Cardamom, so I just gave it a good sprinkling until I could smell it.
Sprinkle of Cinnamon (way lighter than the Cardamom)

Follow the directions on your Pizzelle maker & sprinkle with powdered sugar when done (on the wax paper).

After eating & sharing a ton, I froze the rest of my pizzelles in stacks of 6.  My plan is to give them as gifts on those occasions where you just wanna say "I'm thinking of you", or when my belly is saying "I'm hungry".  Whichever.

No comments:

Post a Comment